The cold, calculating machine-brain of Challengers, Dal's professional demeanor hides a heart that runs almost entirely on comics and graphic novels. In the trenches of comics retail for almost as long as Patrick, Dal's ready to debate the merits of today's most acclaimed creators and point out the hidden gems of the past. He also occasionally smiles. I saw it once. I think.
This is the most New #1’s we’ve seen in one week in a long time. There are so many they’re not even all listed in this break-out section, but they exist. Oh, they exist, and they're coming for your wallet!!
—RECOMMENDED— • ME YOU LOVE IN THE DARK #1 (Image) Writer SKOTTIE YOUNG (I HATE FAIRYLAND, Deadpool, Strange Academy) and artist JORGE CORONA (NO. 1 WITH A BULLET, Super Sons, Feathers) follow up their critically acclaimed series MIDDLEWEST with a brand-new haunting tale. An artist named Ro retreats from the grind of the city to an old house in a small town to find solace and inspiration without realizing the muse within is not what she expected. This book is gorgeous!!
• NOT ALL ROBOTS #1 (AWA) In the year 2056, robots have replaced human beings in the workforce. An uneasy co-existence develops between the newly intelligent robots and the ten billion humans living on Earth. Every human family is assigned a robot upon whom they are completely reliant. What could possibly go wrong? Meet the Walters, a human family whose robot, Razorball, ominously spends his free time in the garage working on machines which they're pretty sure are designed to kill them...
—NEW BOOKS OF NOTE— • JOKER A PUZZLEBOX #1 (DC) The G.C.P.D. discover a mysterious corpse, a magical box, and a murderer’s row of the city’s most dangerous villains sitting in a jail cell. Now all they need to figure out is what exactly happened. Fortunately, one suspect is willing to talk. Unfortunately, it’s The Joker. By Matthew Rosenberg and Jesus Merino.
• SUICIDE SQUAD GET JOKER #1 (DC) Brian Azzarello and Alex Maleev collaborate for the first time in this three-issue, oversize, Prestige plus format Suicide Squad series pitting Red Hood, Harley Quinn, Firefly, and more of DC’s most villainous criminals against The Joker.
• DEADPOOL BLACK WHITE BLOOD #1 (Marvel) A new Deadpool anthology in Black & White, where all the BLOOD is in color! Or something like that-- I didn't actually read the description.
• GOLEM WALKS AMONG US #1 (Dark Horse) From the Mignolaverse. The Golem has a long memory... After being awakened from his long sleep in a shrine in Eastern Europe, Josef the Golem aids in the fight against the witches that once again terrorize humanity. Deployed to a small village where a cult has taken root, Josef encounters not only witches but an old enemy who remembers him well . . . and is out for vengeance!
• LUCKY DEVIL #1 (Dark Horse) A down-on-his-luck schlub is possessed by a malevolent demon. Just when he thinks things can't get worse, the exorcism goes wrong . . . and he finds that somehow he's retained all of the entity's supernatural gifts. After a path of revenge on all the people that have wronged him, he begins to gather worshippers and form a cult. But the legions of Hell don't take kindly to this, and they send demonic agents to murder the schlub-turned-god before he gains too much power.
• MARIA LLOVETS PORCELAIN #1 (Ablaze) Beryl's life in the desert, living with her aunt and her cat, is relatively simple...until the day she finds and enters the Dollhouse. Stuck inside an ever-changing mystery house that hunts children and turns them into dolls, Beryl goes on a psychedelic journey where she must face the notion of her own limitations and move past them...before she becomes the building's newest prey.
• PASSIVE/AGGRESSIVE (Bad Idea) The bank account of the brutal vigilante known as The Watch has been hacked. The Watch is headed to Russia — with $8.8 billion reasons to kill every last member of the Russian hacking farm —and justice will be measured in broken bones and gallons of blood. From Bad Idea, Matt Kindt and David Lapham.
• SPIRITS OF VENGEANCE SPIRIT RIDER #1 (Marvel) Johnny Blaze has been through a lot lately, from ascending the throne of Hell to nearly murdering his former allies on the Avengers. But his nightmare is far from over. Something - or someone - is haunting him, and only a Ghost Rider with the powers of a Sorcerer Supreme can find out why.
• STAR WARS BOUNTY HUNTERS 4-LOM ZUCKUSS #1 (Marvel) Together, lethal droid 4-LOM and Gand Findsman Zuckuss make an unparalleled bounty hunting team. Yet a brutal battle with Boba Fett has divided them. Lost and alone on the crime-infested streets of Nar Shaddaa, Zuckuss faces down an utterly transformed 4-LOM...but why is his old friend out for blood? The answer may lie in the past, from an early mission that helped forge their formidable partnership.
• TRANSFORMERS KING GRIMLOCK #1 (IDW) Grimlock, the beloved powerhouse T-rex with an attitude and one of the strongest Cybertronians in existence, finds himself magically transported to a world of fantastical beasts and strange powers! In this savage world, where the strong rule with sword and iron, Grimlock finds a new opportunity to prove he's the strongest there is... but as Grimlock and the human barbarian, Arko, will learn, sometimes brute strength isn't enough.
• TROVER SAVES THE UNIVERSE #1 (Image) A new limited series filled with mystery, murder, and mayhem from fan-favorite author TESS STONE, set in the world of Rick and Morty co-creator JUSTIN ROILAND's hit video game series Trover Saves the Universe! Welcome to the ICJ - Important Cosmic Jobs - where the boss ranks employees, and at the end of each month, the worst employee literally gets the axe. It's... not a great gig.
—DON’T OVERLOOK— X-MEN #2, GOOD ASIAN #4, NICE HOUSE ON THE LAKE #3, BATMAN #112, GEIGER #5, SINISTER WAR #2, AVENGERS #47, STILLWATER #9, THE LOT #2, and TANKERS #3.
Each month, dozens of new titles are available to order. We'd like to take this opportunity to provide you, our valued subscribers, with a list of some of our most anticipated new ongoing series, one-shots, mini-series, and graphic novels for the month of October 2021. If you see anything on the following list that you'd like to have added to your subscriptions, just let us know. Orders for these titles are due in by August 18th. After that point, we can't guarantee any orders placed, but we'll do our best to have them waiting for you. If you've got any questions, please let us know. Thanks!
If you'd like to see a list of EVERYTHING that's available starting in October 2021, you can head over to PreviewsWorld for a look at all of the thousands of items that are available to order. DC comic books and graphic novels can now be found in the DC Connect catalog.
Pullbox users can add these titles directly through the current Previews catalog. If you'd like to start using Pullbox (a free service) to manage your subscriptions and special orders online, please let us know!
—RECOMMENDED— • SUPERMAN SON OF KAL-EL #1 Jonathan Kent has experienced a lot in his young life. He's traveled the galaxies with his Kryptonian grandfather and lived in the future with the Legion of Super-Heroes, who were intent on training him for the day his father, Clark Kent, could no longer be Superman. There is a hole in the Legion's history that prevents Jon from knowing exactly when that will happen, but all signs point to it being very soon. It's time for the son to wear the cape of his father and bear the symbol of hope that has told the world who Superman really is. Join writer Tom Taylor (Nightwing, DCeased) and artist John Timms (Infinite Frontier) as they usher in a whole new era for the House of El!
—NEW BOOKS OF NOTE— • LAST BOOK YOULL EVER READ #1 Civilization is a lie. Hidden deep in our genes is the truth. And it is slowly clawing its way to the surface. Olivia Kade knows the truth, and she has become the prophet of the coming collapse. Her book, SATYR, is an international bestseller, and it is being blamed for acts of senseless violence and bloodshed all over the world. Olivia's own life is in danger from those who have read her work. Determined to conduct a book tour, she hires security professional Connor Wilson to act as her bodyguard. She only has one requirement: he cannot read her work.
• ICON & ROCKET SEASON ONE #1 Content to waste away his long life in a human guise, Arnus was past caring...until the day a young woman named Raquel Ervin crashed into his life. Soon she'd convinced him to put his incredible power to work again as the heroic Icon...and to transform her into his sidekick, Rocket! But an innocent question on Rocket's part-Why can't we do something about the drugs on my corner?-quickly set a chain of events in motion leading to the pair becoming the most hunted beings on Earth...and they're not just being pursued by Earthlings, either!
• GROO MEETS TARZAN #1 The team behind the hit Groo the Wanderer series goes to Comic-Con, finding inspiration not only in their enthusiastic fans but in their fellow creators, too-especially those working on Tarzan comics. Sergio Aragonés finds a way to introduce the two characters to each other, and so Tarzan, the lord of the jungle, is set on a path that will lead him to Groo, the master of cheese dip. Also includes the return of the Rufferto backup strips!
• AMAZING FANTASY #1 Red Room Black Widow, teenage Spider-Man, World War II Captain America - the most iconic versions of your favorite Marvel characters from across time and space all wake up on an island of intrigue, darkness and...Amazing Fantasy. Are they dead? Are they dreaming? Or have they truly been transported to another fantastical realm? And is there any way for them to return home?
• BATMAN SECRET FILES HUNTRESS #1 Gotham's Violet Vengeance lived through a lot in the last few weeks...including her brain being invaded by a violent parasite bent on sending her on a deadly slugfest bender. Not fun, amiright? Well, Helena Bertinelli is no one to mess with-and when the villainous Vile's parasite gives her the ability to see through the eyes of his victims? You best believe she's gonna track him down and pop an arrow in that slimeball. Look out, Batman, Huntress is on the prowl...
• DUNE BLOOD OF THE SARDAUKAR #1 Jopati Kolona one of the Sardaukar: the emperor's elite military unit. The Sardaukar are unbeatable, unbending in their devotion to the emperor, and feared throughout the galaxy. When Jopati meets Duke Leto of House Atreides, the house he believes responsible for the destruction of his home planet and family, he will be forced to question a life-long hatred. Tasked with overthrowing the Atreides stronghold on Dune for his master, Jopati will be forced to choose between duty and forgiveness.
• SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN CROSSROADS #1 After three sense-shattering series, Peter David, Greg Land, Jay Leisten and Frank D'Armata - the entire SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN crew - RETURN! This time, they're taking Spider-Man down the road less traveled to the supremely psychedelic CROSSROADS DIMENSION! In their most ambitious series yet, the SYMBIOTE team puts Peter Parker and his alien costume on a collision course with none other than THE INCREDIBLE HULK, in a story set just before Peter David's landmark run on the Hulk series!
—DON’T OVERLOOK— BETA RAY BILL #5, SOMETHING IS KILLING THE CHILDREN #18, INFINITE FRONTIER #3, BARBARIC #2, DEPARTMENT OF TRUTH #11, DAREDEVIL #32, and BLUE FLAME #3.
—NEW BOOKS OF NOTE— • BERMUDA #1 Bermuda lives here. She's 16, scrappy, and living on this insane and wondrous jungle island-fighting at every turn to survive-is the only life she has ever known. She can handle the dinosaurs, the pirates, the crazed soldiers, dark magicians, and strange monsters. But the weird new kid who washes ashore just may be the biggest challenge Bermuda has ever faced-as he drags her along on a perilous rescue mission she wants no part of... and he's likely to be the death of both of them! By John Layman and Nick Bradshaw.
• BLUE & GOLD #1 Desperate to regain the spotlight, Booster Gold looks to attract the public’s (and Justice League’s) attention the same way any washed-up, second-rate hero would—social media. The not-so-tech-savvy hero from the 25th century enlists the help of his best friend, Blue Beetle, who possesses both the money and the brains to help his old pal navigate the scary world of internet influencers.
• DARK BLOOD #1 Alabama, 1955. Avery Aldridge is an ordinary young Black man. A decorated World War II veteran, Avery provides for his wife and daughter. But wounds of the past have a way of coming back, and Avery Aldridge will soon discover he is anything but ordinary... After a run-in awakens strange new abilities, Avery's about to become more powerful than he could have ever dared to dream... in a country and society that never wanted him to have any power.
• MOM MOTHER OF MADNESS #1 Game of Thrones superstar EMILIA CLARKE debuts an EXTRA-LENGTH, THREE-ISSUE MINISERIES! The mayhem begins with Maya, under-the-weather scientist by day, over-the-top superhero by night, and badass single mom 24/7. Deadpool action and Fleabag comedy collide when Maya activates her freakish superpowers to take on a secret sect of human traffickers. Mature readers only! Comedy and chaos await in the first of three 40-page issues by the glamorous artist of Horde, LEILA LEIZ!
• MOON KNIGHT #1 The mysterious Mr. Knight has opened his Midnight Mission, his people petitioning for protection from the weird and horrible. The Moon Knight stalks the rooftops and alleys marked with his crescent moon tag, bringing violence to any who would harm his people. Marc Spector, in whichever guise he dons, is back on the streets, a renegade priest of an unworthy god. But while Khonshu languishes in a prison that Moon Knight put him in, Moon Knight must still observe his duty: protecting those who travel at night.
• STAR WARS WAR BOUNTY HUNTERS JABBA HUTT #1 Jabba the Hutt is one of the most powerful and ruthless gangsters in the galaxy-and Boba Fett, his most trusted bounty hunter, has failed him. How will Jabba deal with betrayal? VIOLENTLY. And what does this have to do with a bounty hunter with ties to the High Republic?
• SUPERMAN AND THE AUTHORITY #1 By GRANT MORRISON and MIKEL JANIN! Some tasks require methods and heroes that don’t scream Justice League. So Clark Kent, the Metropolis Marvel, seeks out Manchester Black, the most dastardly of rogues, to form an all-new Authority tasked with taking care of some business on the sly.
• SYPHON #1 When a fast-living EMT is entrusted with the power to sense and siphon pain from others, Sylas is presented with a new purpose: to ease the misery of those around him. But the more he uses this gift, the more it curses him with carrying the burdens of others' pain. And it soon attracts the attention of mysterious forces who covet the power for themselves, forcing Sylas to decide whether he will continue his mission or revert to his old ways.
• TALES FROM HARROW COUNTY FAIR FOLK #1 Harrow County returns with a brand-new story. Fresh off the loss of her goblin friend to a strange portal, Bernice must weigh her responsibilities as protector of Harrow County with her desire to get her companion back safe and sound. But the past weighs heavily and the fair folk use Bernice's and her memories against her. And something more disastrous than she could have feared may be around the corner to threaten both the worlds of humans and of haints.
THE comic of 2021 brings us its 2nd issue with the greatest comic book car chase ever drawn! How do you make a car chase work in a comic book? Find out in SIX SIDEKICKS OF TRIGGER KEATON #2!! Plus a bunch of other stuff is out this week, too.
—RECOMMENDED— •SIX SIDEKICKS OF TRIGGER KEATON #2 Someone murdered Trigger Keaton, the world's most famous TV action hero. But to be fair, everyone kinda hated him. Now the plot thickens, the sidekick numbers increase, and the STUNTMAN WAR ESCALATES! And no one is ready for the BEST CAR CHASE EVER put to page going down!
•NICE HOUSE ON THE LAKE #1 (2ND PRINT) One of the best horror comic books by one of today's best comic writers, James Tynion IV. Don't miss the start of this 12-part series (#2 is also available right now). Exceptional art by Alvaro Martinez Bueno.
—NEW BOOKS OF NOTE— •ALIENS AFTERMATH #1 It's been 35 years since the tragedy of the Hadley's Hope colony, but what happened to that ill-fated venture has been shrouded in mystery. A renegade crew of investigative journalists are heading towards the moon that Weyland-Yutani has wiped from all records, and they'll bring back the truth even if it kills them...and what remains in that bombed out site will try to do just that.
•BEYOND THE BREACH #1 Life sucks for Vanessa. Her mother just died and her boyfriend is cheating on her (with her own sister!). And then, THE BREACH hits. A bizarre anomaly in the sky plunges California into a nightmare-world populated with strange, extra-dimensional creatures. Now Vanessa, along with Dougie, an orphaned child, and Kai, a strange, fuzzball of a beast, must fight to survive if they ever hope to make it back home.
•CANTO III LIONHEARTED #1 The tiny clockwork knight in search of a heart has found his people's freedom and has saved them from the curse of the Shrouded Man, but is he ready to face his enemy on the battlefield? After making the ultimate sacrifice, Canto bears a weapon that could defeat the Shrouded Man and free all the inhabitants of the Unnamed World. Now, he races to find a hidden settlement of his former slavers to enlist them as allies in the coming war.
•CIMMERIAN MAN-EATERS OF ZAMBOULA #1 Discover the true Conan, unrestrained, violent, and sexual. Read the story as he intended! The Cimmerian in the land of a thousand and one nights!
•EXTREME CARNAGE SCREAM #1 Andi Benton has always been a fighter, and that's never been truer than since she bonded to the Scream symbiote a few months ago. But even after ABSOLUTE CARNAGE and KING IN BLACK, Andi has never had to fight like this - and, worse still, if she can't save her symbiote from whatever unseen force is affecting it, she might have to do it alone...
•MAN-EATERS CURSED #1 Man-Eaters: The Cursed reunites the original Man-Eaters creative team for another tale of adolescent feminist derring-do and supernatural hijinks. Maude, now 15, is sent to Craft Camp for the week. It goes south pretty quickly. Smart, laugh-out-loud funny, provocative, referential, scary, chock-full of ephemera, and compulsively re-readable. Plus, fairies. [ADVISORY: Do not read this book while you are actually camping.]
•MOUSE GUARD OWLHEN CAREGIVER #1 Which of life's biggest lessons can be learned from the smallest amongst us? A young mouse learns that compassion and kindness are the great virtues in "The Owlhen Caregiver." "Piper the Listener" finds a brave mouse venturing into wild country to learn the tongues of other beasts. And a grizzled oldfur shares the lesson of putting a whisker out too far in "The Wild Wolf." Three poignant tales mark creator David Petersen's return to his beloved Eisner and Harvey Award-winning series in this self-contained special.
•NINJAK #1 Out of the shadows and into the spotlight... the world's greatest superspy has been exposed! Colin King is Ninjak and he has a target on his back like never before. With enemies lurking around every corner, how will Ninjak survive when there's nowhere left to hide and the world is gunning for him? Jeff Parker and Javier Puildo are about to take you on a non-stop thrill ride.
•SAVAGE HEARTS #1 She's a brawny barbarian bruiser with a broken heart; he's a lonely beastman who talks to dinosaurs. What happens when they team up against an evil sorcerer? Action, comedy, and romance in this all-new jungle fantasy romcom from Aubrey Sitterson (No One Left to Fight, The Comic Book Story of Professional Wrestling) and Jed Dougherty (World's Finest, Harley Quinn, Justice League: Future's End). Includes the special print single issue-exclusive back-up No Kings, No Masters by Aubrey Sitterson and Goran Gligovic!
•SINISTER WAR #1 Doctor Octopus' got a new Sinister Six and if you think he's thought big in the past, think again. What Ock DOESN'T know is that the VULTURE has a sextet of his own: THE SAVAGE SIX! It's an all-out WAR between two of the greatest villains in the Marvel Universe, and the only person they hate more than each other is SPIDER-MAN!
—DON’T OVERLOOK— INFINITE FRONTIER #2, SKYBOUND X #2, IRON MAN #10, BATMAN THE DETECTIVE #4, SILVER COIN #4, THOR #15 and SEVEN SCERETS #10.