If Primordial isn’t on your radar, maybe give it a look…
—SPOTLIGHT BOOK— • PRIMORDIAL #1 (Image) In 1957, the USSR launched the dog, Laika, into Earth's orbit. Two years later, the USA responded with two monkeys, Able and Baker. These animals never returned. But, unbeknownst to everyone, they did not die in orbit...they were taken. And now they are coming home. Mind-bending sci-fi collides with Cold War thriller by the bestselling, Eisner-winning creative team behind GIDEON FALLS!
—NEW GRAPHIC NOVEL OF NOTE— • STRAY DOGS (Image) Collects issues #1-#5. It's Lady and the Tramp meets Silence of the Lambs. Sophie doesn't know how she ended up in this house. She doesn't recognize any of these other dogs. She knows something terrible happened, but she just...can't...recall...Wait! Where's her lady? Now Sophie has to figure out where she is, what's happening, and how she's going to survive this. They say there's no such thing as a bad dog-just bad owners.
—NEW COMICS OF NOTE— • ETERNALS THANOS RISES #1 (Marvel) They give it a #1 but it's just the next issue of Eternals. Eternals are created, not born. They have families, but their families make no new children. It's simply not what Eternals do. Some of them thought they could find a way to change that and believed it would be for the best. They were terribly, terribly wrong.
• HARLEY QUINN EAT BANG KILL TOUR #1 (DC) Harley and Ivy on the road trip of the century! Following the wedding disaster of the decade, Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy end up on the run from Commissioner Gordon and the GCPD! But as fun as all that sounds, Ivy still worries over leaving Kite Man at the altar… Luckily, Harley’s got the perfect scheme to shake her out of her wedding-day blues!
• I AM BATMAN #1 (DC) In the throes of Future State, the streets of Gotham City cry for justice and Jace Fox answers the call! With a new and improved Bat-Suit, Jace hits the streets to inspire and protect…as he follows the trail of the voice of misinformation and violence—the anarchistic Anti-Oracle! Can the new Dark Knight counterbalance their plan to inspire armed rebellion in the citizens of Gotham?! Can one man inspire a city?
• MAW #1 (BOOM! Studios) Dragged by her sister Wendy to a feminist retreat on the remote island of Angitia, Marion Angela Weber hopes to gain some perspective and empowerment... that isn't at the bottom of a bottle. But everything is horribly derailed after an assault on their first night there. The violent encounter awakens something in Marion she never imagined, triggering warped mutations in her body, and awakening a hunger she can't bring herself to name.
• STAR WARS BOUNTY HUNTERS BOUSHH #1 (Marvel) Before Princess Leia acquired his armor to infiltrate Jabba the Hutt's palace, Boushh roamed the galaxy as a bounty hunter. He and his team of lethal warriors were exiled from their homeworld; but what horrible event from Boushh's past doomed them all to wander with no hope of ever returning?
• TITANS UNITED #1 (DC) The Titans face their greatest challenge—their own powers! Nightwing, Donna Troy, Superboy, Starfire, Raven, Beast Boy, and Red Hood kick off a thrilling new case that will lead one of their own to question not only their place on the team, but their very existence.
Look at this week! Three GREAT new titles from 3 great creators! Jeff Lemire (Mazebook)! Mark Guggenheim (Last Flight Out)! Mark Russell (Deadbox)! Any one of these would be Pick of the Week and we have all 3!!
—SPOTLIGHT BOOK— • DEADBOX #1 (Vault) Welcome to the town of Lost Turkey, where the main source of entertainment is a cursed DVD machine that seems to know more about the fate of its citizens than they do.
—NEW GRAPHIC NOVEL OF NOTE— • MS MARVEL STRETCHED THIN (Graphix) An original middle-grade graphic novel starring breakout character (and New Jersey's own) Ms. Marvel! Kamala Khan (a.k.a Ms. Marvel) is stretched too thin-literally. She's tired and just barely keeping control, but she's handling it. Totally. But when a mysterious robot tries to infiltrate Avengers Tower, it'll be up to Ms. Marvel to (again, literally) pull herself together, learn to ask for help, and fix the mess she's made before anyone gets hurt!
—RECOMMENDED NEW COMICS— • LAST FLIGHT OUT #1 (Dark Horse) With Earth rendered uninhabitable, humanity has chosen to evacuate to the stars. But with just twenty-four hours left until the last ark-designed to evacuate Earth's residents-leaves forever, its designer's estranged daughter goes missing. Marc Guggenheim (Arrow, X-Men) and Eduardo Ferigato (Self/Made) tell the story of an absentee father trying to make amends with his daughter during the end of the world.
• MAZEBOOK #1 (Dark Horse) From Jeff Lemire! A lonely building inspector still grieving the loss of his puzzle-loving daughter receives a mysterious phone call one night from a girl claiming it's her and that she's trapped in the middle of a labyrinth. Convinced that this child is contacting him from beyond this world, he uses an unfinished maze from one of her journals and a map of the city to trace an intricate path through a different plane of reality to bring his daughter back home.
We’d love to tell you all of these books will be available on Wednesday, September 1st, but as we’re still waiting for DC books for the 25th, who knows? But, optimistic fools that we are, we’re still hoping for the full shipment.
—SPOTLIGHT BOOK— • DARK AGES #1 (Marvel) This is what the Watcher has been watching for! A danger older than the Earth threatens everything. For once, the heroes who have saved the planet so many times are almost powerless in the face of it. X-Men and Avengers assemble. Spider-People and Fantastic Four come together. Heroes for Hire fight alongside Champions. None of it will be enough. The lights are about to go out and the world outside our window...is about to end.
—NEW GRAPHIC NOVEL OF NOTE— • OUR STORIES CARRIED US HERE (Green Card Voices) A bold and unconventional collection of first-person stories told and illustrated by immigrants and refugees living across the United States. Stanford scientist, deaf student, indigenous activist, Black entrepreneur - all immigrants and refugees - recount journeys from their home countries in ten vibrantly illustrated stories. Faced by unfamiliar vistas, they are welcomed with possibilities, and confronted by challenges and prejudice.
—NEW COMICS OF NOTE— • ALMOST AMERICAN #1 (Aftershock) In 2008, husband-and-wife Russian intelligence operatives walked into the U.S. Embassy in the Dominican Republic in order to defect, making a deal to trade secrets for new lives. But instead of the American Dream, Janosh and Victorya Neumann found themselves caught up in red tape, bureaucracy and turf wars between the FBI and CIA - all while their past tries to kill them.
• BATMAN FEAR STATE ALPHA #1 (DC) Overwhelmed by the dual threat of the Scarecrow and Peacekeeper-01, Batman and his allies have been one step behind since the events of Infinite Frontier #0 and with the arrival of a mysterious anti-Oracle and the return of Poison Ivy, Batman might have more than he can handle!
• DEMON DAYS CURSED WEB #1 (Marvel) Mariko Yashida journeys deep into a dark forest to find answers about her past. Instead, she finds a magical wolf with three toes and a strange girl with a pet spider. But there are deadly creatures in these woods too - a mysterious, blue-skinned woman and a giant with super-strength and claws - and they're after Mariko!
• LAST ANNIHILATION WICCAN AND HULKLING #1 (Marvel) The Last Annihilation has hit the Kree/Skrull Alliance. Wiccan and Hulkling must split up to simultaneously defend two planets against the Mindless Army! But will the individual newlyweds be enough to fight off the forces of Dormammu? Or will they become the next casualties in this senseless war?
• MIDNIGHTER 2021 ANNUAL #1 (DC) Midnighter traveled into the future to help get himself out of a jam, only to swap places with his future self. Now, the Midnighter from the future finds himself trapped in a paradox, working his way back to his onetime present to swap places again. Don’t worry if you’re confused—so is he!
• MONSTER KILL SQUAD #1 (Bad Idea) Over the past 90 days, cryptozoological attacks have increased a hundredfold, and the arcane has become everyday. Monsters of every shape and size strike at will, and the good, taxpaying folks of the US of A have had enough of this nonsense.
• PYRATE QUEEN #1 (Bad Idea) Meet Monday Ryan, a pyrate with a bad reputation and a price on her head. To be a pyrate is to live a short and merry life and to live it free. It ends for most with a length of rope and a four-foot drop.
• TELEPATHS #1 (AWA) From J. Michael Straczynksi and Steve Epting. An electromagnetic disturbance results in the sudden awakening of telepathic powers in a tenth of the Earth's population. In the moments after the world comes to grip with this development, newlyBoston police find themselves sent against a wrongly convicted prisoner who becomes a hero and leader of other telepaths trying to escape a world in which their powers will make them targets.