It might be hard to see all of the week’s New Comics while you’re lost in the glow of our fancy new carpet, so we’ll give you a quick rundown on the goods.
—SPOTLIGHT BOOK— • KILLER QUEENS #1 Meet Max and Alex. Reformed intergalactic assassins for hire. On the run. Also super gay. Their former boss-a fluffy monkey with a jetpack-is hot on their tail to take back his stolen ship. They gotta eat, so they take a mission from Alex's old flame. Your standard no-kill, casualty-free kidnapping recovery from a nearby moon. Only complication? Half the moon is ruled by a fascist dictator hostile to foreigners. They're the Killer Queens, so what could possibly go wrong? Join rising star David M. Booher (Canto, Alien Bounty Hunter) and an all-LGBTQ creative team as they tackle issues of love, xenophobia, and the terror of fascist dictatorships in this hilarious sci-fi epic.
—NEW GRAPHIC NOVEL OF NOTE— • STAR BEASTS Bandit is a pup who leaves his family on Earth to join the secret order of the Star Beasts-cosmic creatures sworn to protect Earth and spread goodness throughout the universe. When powerful ancient relics are stolen, Bandit leads the crew on a kick-asteroid space race to collect them all and defeat the evil Khaos Krill from destroying Earth! Artist Lassie will be signing @ Challengers in September!
—NEW COMICS OF NOTE— • X-MEN TRIAL OF MAGNETO #1 A horrific murder. A shocking revelation. A trial that will divide the new mutant nation. Leah Williams and Valerio Schiti bring you a new epic that threatens the Reign of X and will upend the world of mutants. The truth is hidden, the danger is far from over, and the trial has begun.
• SECOND CHANCES #1 Second Chances Hotline - call now and get a new identity! All you need is some cash, a proper referral, and a very good reason to start over. When Leblanc, the man behind the hotline, is approached by a shady figure from his past, he's forced to accept a new client who doesn't meet any of the requirements - a client with chemically induced amnesia in desperate need of protection.
• HEROES UNION #1 Naucrate the Auteur Cosmic - half the universe celebrates her genius, the other half cowers before her world-shattering power. And the only ones who can stop her are Earth's foremost super-group... The Heroes Union! Legendary creators Roger Stern (The Avengers), Ron Frenz (Thor) and Sal Buscema (Captain America) unite to chronicle the adventures of a marvelous new generation of heroes in a cosmic epic bursting with so many breathtaking twists and thrills, it should probably come with seat belts! This 68-page, standalone story introduces all-new 21st Century Heroes in an exciting new, square-bound "Binge Book" format!
• KANG THE CONQUEROR #1 The man called Kang the Conqueror has been a pharaoh, a villain, a warlord of the space ways and even, on rare occasions, a hero. Across all timelines, one fact seemed absolute: Time means nothing to Kang the Conqueror. But the truth is more complex. Kang is caught in an endless cycle of creation and destruction dictated by time and previously unseen by any but the Conqueror himself. A cycle that could finally explain the enigma that is Kang. And a cycle that begins and ends with an old and broken Kang sending his younger self down a dark path...
• BATMAN SECRET FILES CLOWNHUNTER #1 Clownhunter’s brutal mission to hunt down all the clowns from The Joker War continues! The untrained but focused vigilante stalks a boss-level clown, but his luck might be running out as he walks into an ambush set by Punchline! In a horrific parallel to his days at Gotham Academy, Clownhunter finds himself overwhelmed and outgunned...just the type of odds he likes!
• EAT THE RICH #1 With law school and her whole life ahead of her, Joey plans to summer with her boyfriend Astor in his seemingly perfect hometown of Crestfall Bluffs. It's a chance to finally meet Astor's family and childhood friends, all while enjoying a vacation with every need attended to by servants. But beneath the affluent perfection lies a dark, deadly rot... will Joey discover the truth before it's too late, and if she does, can she survive to tell the tale?
• ELRIC DREAMING CITY #1 Elric of Melniboné, is exiled from his home and cursed to walk the land under the influence of the god of chaos, Arioch. With his sword Stormbringer, Elric must find his way through the unknown.
• GOD OF TREMORS A 19th Century gothic horror of exorcism, demonic worship and epilepsy. When Aubrey has his first seizure, he's pulled out of school and hidden away in the family's remote country estate. His father - a high-ranking English priest - tries to chase the "devil" out of Aubrey - but maybe the devil lurks in the grotesque pagan effigy that dwells on the grounds. And maybe the devil will turn out to be Aubrey's only ally...
• GOOD BOY MAGAZINE #1 The finest, highest quality comics magazine on planet Earth! 112 brand new full color pages from indie comic heavyweights Benji Nate, Michael Sweater, Alex Krokus, Ashley Robin Franklin, Sam Grinberg, Flower Alligator, Dave Mercier, Bastian Najdek, Steve Thueson, and plenty more. A pure joy. Read comics or go to hell.
• MILES MORALES SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL #1 Miles Morales is investigating a series of monster attacks in Brooklyn when he runs into Ms. Marvel's friend and ally AMULET! Together they connect the monsters to a series of cursed magical objects. But who activated them, and why? And can Spider-Man and Amulet find out before the monsters take them down too?
• WARHAMMER 40K SISTERS BATTLE #1 A squad of Adepta Sororitas, led by CANONESS VERIDYAN arrive on planet Siscia to retrieve a lost Inquisitorial acolyte and put down a heretical uprising. As Novitiate GHITA'S first mission with her Order gets underway, what should be an easy mission turns into something much worse, as an unknown force deep within the subterranean city of the planet rears its ugly head!
—DON’T OVERLOOK— NIGHTWING #83, MOON KNIGHT #2, HOME SICK PILOTS #8, IRON MAN #11, RADIANT BLACK #7, HARROW COUNTY FAIR FOLK #2, SUPERGIRL WOMAN OF TOMORROW #3, and SINISTER WAR #3.
Oof. With an email subject heading as dark as that one, there’s nothing else to do but jump right to the book in question…
—NEW GRAPHIC NOVELS OF NOTE— •DID YOU HEAR WHAT EDDIE GEIN DONE One of the greats in the field of true-crime literature, Harold Schechter, teams "The Goon”’s Eric Powell to bring you the tale of one of the most notoriously deranged murderers in American history, Ed Gein. This is an in-depth exploration of the Gein family and what led to the creation of the necrophile who haunted the dreams of 1950s America. Schechter and Powell's true-crime graphic novel takes the Gein story out of the realms of exploitation and gives the reader a fact-based dramatization of these tragic, heartbreaking and psychotic events.
•JONNA & THE UNPOSSIBLE MONSTER TP VOL 01 Co-written and drawn by Chris Samnee! Rainbow has been looking for her younger sister, Jonna, for over a year-since the monsters appeared and the world began to dry up. Then, one day, Jonna's spotted out in the wild: filthy, but very much alive-and strong. Strong enough to knock back a towering monster with one punch. All this time, she's been surviving. On her own. Without Rainbow. Without anyone. But there are more dangers in the world than monsters, and when the two sisters reunite, they'll discover the secrets of this new and terrifying world firsthand.
—RECOMMENDED COMICS— • DEFENDERS #1 (Marvel) Doctor Strange and the Masked Raider take a non-team of Marvel's weirdest, wildest heroes on a mission that will uncover the hidden architecture of reality itself! This cosmos was not the first to exist...but if the DEFENDERS can't track Marvel's oldest villain through the deepest trenches of time - it might be the last! By Al Ewing and Javier Rodriguez!
—NEW COMICS OF NOTE— •BATMAN 89 #1 (DC Comics) Step back into the Gotham of Tim Burton’s seminal classic Batman movies! Batman ’89 brings in screenwriter Sam Hamm (Batman, Batman Returns) and artist Joe Quinones (Dial H for Hero) to pull on a number of threads left dangling by the prolific director. Gotham becomes torn in two as citizens dressed as Batman and The Joker duke it out in the streets. As D.A. Harvey Dent tries to keep the city together, he targets the one problem tearing it apart: BATMAN! And he’ll get Bruce Wayne’s help in taking down the Dark Knight!
•UNBELIEVABLE UNTEENS WORLD OF BLACK HAMMER #1 (Dark Horse) The X-Men of the Black Hammer Universe? After signing at a comic book convention, Unbelievable Unteens artist Jane Ito finds herself visited by one of the characters from her own creation-but was it her own creation? Were the Unteens an actual school of teenaged misfit superheroes who battled supervillains under the lead of the mysterious Dr. Miles Moniker? And if so, who wiped their memories and why?
•I AM BATMAN #0 (DC Comics) Future State gave readers a preview of things to come with Jace Fox as the new Batman...but his debut in the core line arrives with a bang! Picking up immediately from the events of The Next Batman: Second Son, Jace thrusts himself into action when the Magistrate’s crackdown on Alleytown begins, using armor he’s found in the abandoned Hibernaculum. The age of a new Dark Knight starts now!
•CAMPISI #1 (Aftershock) Sonny Campisi is a small-time fixer for the mob-controlled neighborhood of Green Village. If you don't pay your gambling debt, he'll come and collect. If you get a little rough with one of "the girls," he gets a little rough with you. But when a dragon flies into town and Sonny is the one who's tasked with getting rid of it, it's a problem unlike any he's ever faced, and a chain of events begins that will affect everyone who lives in that neighborhood. Especially Sonny.
•CINNAMON #1 (Behemoth) Cinnamon is just your perfectly ordinary, average housecat. At least until we get a glimpse of the world through her eyes! Countertops become skyscrapers, cat toys become biker gangs, and perilous giant robots rampage on the daily! Get drop kicked onto the action packed streets of Big Kitchen City, as she fights the dark forces that dare to keep her from her favorite treat... Catnip!
•HARDWARE SEASON ONE #1 (DC Comics) Curtis Metcalf was the brightest shining star of Alva Industries until the failures of Alva technology at the Big Bang disaster threatened to destroy the company, and Alva needed a scapegoat. Now Curtis is on the run from the Dakota police department…but a man as smart—and paranoid—as Curtis takes precautions. With a nearly indestructible suit of armor and remarkable inventions, Curtis stands determined to do much more than clear his name…he’s going to take the fight back to Alva himself!
•AVENGERS TECH-ON #1 (Marvel) What if the Avengers were Power Rangers? When the Red Skull wields a strange new power that strips heroes of their powers and threatens the entire world, the Avengers turn to Tony Stark's experimental new technology to save us all. Here come the Iron Avengers - Avengers Tech-On! It's mechs and mayhem in the Marvel Mighty Manner!
•PENNYWORTH #1 (DC Comics) It's a comic from that show you don't watch! Spanning the years between the hit TV show and today, Pennyworth tells the continuing adventures of Alfred Pennyworth as an MI6 counterintelligence agent.
—DON’T OVERLOOK— SIX SIDEKICKS OF TRIGGER KEATON #3, RORSCHACH #11, DAREDEVIL #33, MAMO #2, SPIDER-MAN SPIDERS SHADOW #5, JOKER #6 and BY THE HORNS #4.
This is the most New #1’s we’ve seen in one week in a long time. There are so many they’re not even all listed in this break-out section, but they exist. Oh, they exist, and they're coming for your wallet!!
—RECOMMENDED— • ME YOU LOVE IN THE DARK #1 (Image) Writer SKOTTIE YOUNG (I HATE FAIRYLAND, Deadpool, Strange Academy) and artist JORGE CORONA (NO. 1 WITH A BULLET, Super Sons, Feathers) follow up their critically acclaimed series MIDDLEWEST with a brand-new haunting tale. An artist named Ro retreats from the grind of the city to an old house in a small town to find solace and inspiration without realizing the muse within is not what she expected. This book is gorgeous!!
• NOT ALL ROBOTS #1 (AWA) In the year 2056, robots have replaced human beings in the workforce. An uneasy co-existence develops between the newly intelligent robots and the ten billion humans living on Earth. Every human family is assigned a robot upon whom they are completely reliant. What could possibly go wrong? Meet the Walters, a human family whose robot, Razorball, ominously spends his free time in the garage working on machines which they're pretty sure are designed to kill them...
—NEW BOOKS OF NOTE— • JOKER A PUZZLEBOX #1 (DC) The G.C.P.D. discover a mysterious corpse, a magical box, and a murderer’s row of the city’s most dangerous villains sitting in a jail cell. Now all they need to figure out is what exactly happened. Fortunately, one suspect is willing to talk. Unfortunately, it’s The Joker. By Matthew Rosenberg and Jesus Merino.
• SUICIDE SQUAD GET JOKER #1 (DC) Brian Azzarello and Alex Maleev collaborate for the first time in this three-issue, oversize, Prestige plus format Suicide Squad series pitting Red Hood, Harley Quinn, Firefly, and more of DC’s most villainous criminals against The Joker.
• DEADPOOL BLACK WHITE BLOOD #1 (Marvel) A new Deadpool anthology in Black & White, where all the BLOOD is in color! Or something like that-- I didn't actually read the description.
• GOLEM WALKS AMONG US #1 (Dark Horse) From the Mignolaverse. The Golem has a long memory... After being awakened from his long sleep in a shrine in Eastern Europe, Josef the Golem aids in the fight against the witches that once again terrorize humanity. Deployed to a small village where a cult has taken root, Josef encounters not only witches but an old enemy who remembers him well . . . and is out for vengeance!
• LUCKY DEVIL #1 (Dark Horse) A down-on-his-luck schlub is possessed by a malevolent demon. Just when he thinks things can't get worse, the exorcism goes wrong . . . and he finds that somehow he's retained all of the entity's supernatural gifts. After a path of revenge on all the people that have wronged him, he begins to gather worshippers and form a cult. But the legions of Hell don't take kindly to this, and they send demonic agents to murder the schlub-turned-god before he gains too much power.
• MARIA LLOVETS PORCELAIN #1 (Ablaze) Beryl's life in the desert, living with her aunt and her cat, is relatively simple...until the day she finds and enters the Dollhouse. Stuck inside an ever-changing mystery house that hunts children and turns them into dolls, Beryl goes on a psychedelic journey where she must face the notion of her own limitations and move past them...before she becomes the building's newest prey.
• PASSIVE/AGGRESSIVE (Bad Idea) The bank account of the brutal vigilante known as The Watch has been hacked. The Watch is headed to Russia — with $8.8 billion reasons to kill every last member of the Russian hacking farm —and justice will be measured in broken bones and gallons of blood. From Bad Idea, Matt Kindt and David Lapham.
• SPIRITS OF VENGEANCE SPIRIT RIDER #1 (Marvel) Johnny Blaze has been through a lot lately, from ascending the throne of Hell to nearly murdering his former allies on the Avengers. But his nightmare is far from over. Something - or someone - is haunting him, and only a Ghost Rider with the powers of a Sorcerer Supreme can find out why.
• STAR WARS BOUNTY HUNTERS 4-LOM ZUCKUSS #1 (Marvel) Together, lethal droid 4-LOM and Gand Findsman Zuckuss make an unparalleled bounty hunting team. Yet a brutal battle with Boba Fett has divided them. Lost and alone on the crime-infested streets of Nar Shaddaa, Zuckuss faces down an utterly transformed 4-LOM...but why is his old friend out for blood? The answer may lie in the past, from an early mission that helped forge their formidable partnership.
• TRANSFORMERS KING GRIMLOCK #1 (IDW) Grimlock, the beloved powerhouse T-rex with an attitude and one of the strongest Cybertronians in existence, finds himself magically transported to a world of fantastical beasts and strange powers! In this savage world, where the strong rule with sword and iron, Grimlock finds a new opportunity to prove he's the strongest there is... but as Grimlock and the human barbarian, Arko, will learn, sometimes brute strength isn't enough.
• TROVER SAVES THE UNIVERSE #1 (Image) A new limited series filled with mystery, murder, and mayhem from fan-favorite author TESS STONE, set in the world of Rick and Morty co-creator JUSTIN ROILAND's hit video game series Trover Saves the Universe! Welcome to the ICJ - Important Cosmic Jobs - where the boss ranks employees, and at the end of each month, the worst employee literally gets the axe. It's... not a great gig.
—DON’T OVERLOOK— X-MEN #2, GOOD ASIAN #4, NICE HOUSE ON THE LAKE #3, BATMAN #112, GEIGER #5, SINISTER WAR #2, AVENGERS #47, STILLWATER #9, THE LOT #2, and TANKERS #3.