The cold, calculating machine-brain of Challengers, Dal's professional demeanor hides a heart that runs almost entirely on comics and graphic novels. In the trenches of comics retail for almost as long as Patrick, Dal's ready to debate the merits of today's most acclaimed creators and point out the hidden gems of the past. He also occasionally smiles. I saw it once. I think.
We’d love to tell you all of these books will be available on Wednesday, September 1st, but as we’re still waiting for DC books for the 25th, who knows? But, optimistic fools that we are, we’re still hoping for the full shipment.
—SPOTLIGHT BOOK— • DARK AGES #1 (Marvel) This is what the Watcher has been watching for! A danger older than the Earth threatens everything. For once, the heroes who have saved the planet so many times are almost powerless in the face of it. X-Men and Avengers assemble. Spider-People and Fantastic Four come together. Heroes for Hire fight alongside Champions. None of it will be enough. The lights are about to go out and the world outside our window...is about to end.
—NEW GRAPHIC NOVEL OF NOTE— • OUR STORIES CARRIED US HERE (Green Card Voices) A bold and unconventional collection of first-person stories told and illustrated by immigrants and refugees living across the United States. Stanford scientist, deaf student, indigenous activist, Black entrepreneur - all immigrants and refugees - recount journeys from their home countries in ten vibrantly illustrated stories. Faced by unfamiliar vistas, they are welcomed with possibilities, and confronted by challenges and prejudice.
—NEW COMICS OF NOTE— • ALMOST AMERICAN #1 (Aftershock) In 2008, husband-and-wife Russian intelligence operatives walked into the U.S. Embassy in the Dominican Republic in order to defect, making a deal to trade secrets for new lives. But instead of the American Dream, Janosh and Victorya Neumann found themselves caught up in red tape, bureaucracy and turf wars between the FBI and CIA - all while their past tries to kill them.
• BATMAN FEAR STATE ALPHA #1 (DC) Overwhelmed by the dual threat of the Scarecrow and Peacekeeper-01, Batman and his allies have been one step behind since the events of Infinite Frontier #0 and with the arrival of a mysterious anti-Oracle and the return of Poison Ivy, Batman might have more than he can handle!
• DEMON DAYS CURSED WEB #1 (Marvel) Mariko Yashida journeys deep into a dark forest to find answers about her past. Instead, she finds a magical wolf with three toes and a strange girl with a pet spider. But there are deadly creatures in these woods too - a mysterious, blue-skinned woman and a giant with super-strength and claws - and they're after Mariko!
• LAST ANNIHILATION WICCAN AND HULKLING #1 (Marvel) The Last Annihilation has hit the Kree/Skrull Alliance. Wiccan and Hulkling must split up to simultaneously defend two planets against the Mindless Army! But will the individual newlyweds be enough to fight off the forces of Dormammu? Or will they become the next casualties in this senseless war?
• MIDNIGHTER 2021 ANNUAL #1 (DC) Midnighter traveled into the future to help get himself out of a jam, only to swap places with his future self. Now, the Midnighter from the future finds himself trapped in a paradox, working his way back to his onetime present to swap places again. Don’t worry if you’re confused—so is he!
• MONSTER KILL SQUAD #1 (Bad Idea) Over the past 90 days, cryptozoological attacks have increased a hundredfold, and the arcane has become everyday. Monsters of every shape and size strike at will, and the good, taxpaying folks of the US of A have had enough of this nonsense.
• PYRATE QUEEN #1 (Bad Idea) Meet Monday Ryan, a pyrate with a bad reputation and a price on her head. To be a pyrate is to live a short and merry life and to live it free. It ends for most with a length of rope and a four-foot drop.
• TELEPATHS #1 (AWA) From J. Michael Straczynksi and Steve Epting. An electromagnetic disturbance results in the sudden awakening of telepathic powers in a tenth of the Earth's population. In the moments after the world comes to grip with this development, newlyBoston police find themselves sent against a wrongly convicted prisoner who becomes a hero and leader of other telepaths trying to escape a world in which their powers will make them targets.
Each month, dozens of new titles are available to order. We'd like to take this opportunity to provide you, our valued subscribers, with a list of some of our most anticipated new ongoing series, one-shots, mini-series, and graphic novels for the month of November 2021. If you see anything on the following list that you'd like to have added to your subscriptions, just let us know. Orders for these titles are due in by September 18th. After that point, we can't guarantee any orders placed, but we'll do our best to have them waiting for you. If you've got any questions, please let us know. Thanks!
King Spawn #1, a new (Absolute) Kyle Starks graphic novel and a new series from JH Williams III highlight this great week of New Comics!
—SPOTLIGHT BOOK— •SUPERMAN VS LOBO #1 From writers Tim Seeley and Sarah Beattie the team behind the indie hit Money Shot and Punchline artist Mirka Andolfo comes a hilarious new superhero epic! What happens when an indomitable force meets an irritating object? That’s what readers find out when Superman runs into Lobo. Think of it like a boy scout joining a biker gang. What will be worse, the damage Lobo causes on his own, or the chaos of trying to stop him?
—NEW GRAPHIC NOVEL OF NOTE— •OLD HEAD Space Jam meets Fright Night in this hilarious action-horror as a former basketball star returns home to bury his mother only to learn of her mysterious past, his destiny, and to find himself embroiled in a decades-long blood feud with actual Dracula. By Kyle Starks. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for anyone who loves SIX SIDEKICS OF TRIGGER KEATON!!
—NEW COMICS OF NOTE— •KING SPAWN #1 A classic villain from Spawn's past has begun asserting his powers on Earth by corrupting as many souls as possible. And only Spawn knows that he even exists. Continuing the dramatic battles from SPAWN'S UNIVERSE #1, this is where it all begins! The last time a new ongoing SPAWN series launched was in 1992.
•ECHOLANDS #1 The story of Earth's last war starts with Hope's sticky fingers... By JH Williams III and W. Haden Blackman. In a bizarre future world that has forgotten its history, a reckless thief Hope Redhood holds the key to excavating its dark strange past - if only she and her crew can escape a tyrannical wizard and his unstoppable daughter. But fate will send them all on a path leading to a war between worlds.
•SPIDER-MAN LIFE STORY ANNUAL #1 A return to the World of SPIDER-MAN: LIFE STORY by the Original Creative Team! SPIDER-MAN. He's a threat. He's a menace. And J. JONAH JAMESON will do whatever it takes to make the world see it! But in this companion piece to last year's hit miniseries SPIDER-MAN: LIFE STORY, will the decades of his obsession bear fruit for Jonah...or be his destruction?
•DARKHAWK #1 Connor Young is a seventeen-year-old star basketball player with the world ahead of him, until a surprising medical diagnosis changes everything. But what happens when a mysterious amulet finds him and gives him powers beyond belief? What will he do with these new abilities? Get in on the ground floor as KYLE HIGGINS (RISE OF ULTRAMAN, Radiant Black) and JUANAN RAMÍREZ (WEB OF VENOM) start a new era.
•LESTER OF THE LESSER GODS From Eric Powell (The Goon) comes Lester of the Lesser Gods! Lester has no friends and no life. That is until Satan unleashes the Apocalypse! No longer is he a 32-year-old, 300 pound LARPer who lives with his mother. A mother who constantly re-minds him of his lowly conception in a biker bar bathroom. But momma didn't get that gimpy hip from knocking boots with any old biker... t'was a GOD! And Satan shall suckle his knuckle! HUZZAH!
•MARVELS VOICES IDENTITY #1 Some of the best Asian super heroes in comics are getting the spotlight in this special action-packed and heartfelt issue! Shang-Chi! Ms. Marvel! Jubilee! Silk! Jimmy Woo! Come celebrate these amazing and legendary heroes from new and established Asian creators that will surely expand "the world outside your window!"
•ST MERCY #1 Mercedes Oro is one of the surviving descendants of the Incans who has been charged with protecting a cache of cursed gold used in their child sacrifice rituals. But when an outlaw tries to steal the gold for his band of thieves, he unknowingly sets events in motion that will unleash an angry god who is willing to travel through the centuries to have what he desires.
•SUPERMAN 78 #1 Fly into director Richard Donner’s Superman once more in Superman ’78! Written by Robert Venditti (Superman: Man of Tomorrow) and drawn by Wilfredo Torres (Batman ’66), Superman ’78 tells a brand-new adventure in the world of the beloved film.
•CABLE RELOADED #1 It's a new era, in a new galaxy, that's under siege from a deadly new threat...but you can still rely on one man. Cable is locked, loaded and landing on the deadliest planet in X-history - to steal the ultimate weapon...and stop the LAST ANNIHILATION!
•TRANSFORMERS SHATTERED GLASS #1 Shattered Glass isn't your average Transformers tale... "Shards" is the story of the ongoing battle between the power-hungry Autobot autocrats and the freedom-fighting Decepticon laborers. Join author Danny Lore (James Bond, King in Black: Captain America, Champions) in exploring this fractured alternate universe just before it shatters.
•WINTER GUARD #1 Russia is cleaning house! And when the Red Guardian starts hunting down state secrets, he puts himself right back in his home country's crosshairs - dragging the White Widow along with him. But the motherland has new heroes now...and not even the Red Room could have prepared Alexei and Yelena for the Winter Guard's retribution. Bold twists and bombastic action abound as the Winter Guard tracks down two of Russia's dirtiest secrets!
—DON’T OVERLOOK— SUPERMAN SON OF KAL-EL #2, DEPARTMENT OF TRUTH #12, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #72, ICE CREAM MAN #25, ROBIN #5, TMNT #120 and WOLVERINE #15.
It might be hard to see all of the week’s New Comics while you’re lost in the glow of our fancy new carpet, so we’ll give you a quick rundown on the goods.
—SPOTLIGHT BOOK— • KILLER QUEENS #1 Meet Max and Alex. Reformed intergalactic assassins for hire. On the run. Also super gay. Their former boss-a fluffy monkey with a jetpack-is hot on their tail to take back his stolen ship. They gotta eat, so they take a mission from Alex's old flame. Your standard no-kill, casualty-free kidnapping recovery from a nearby moon. Only complication? Half the moon is ruled by a fascist dictator hostile to foreigners. They're the Killer Queens, so what could possibly go wrong? Join rising star David M. Booher (Canto, Alien Bounty Hunter) and an all-LGBTQ creative team as they tackle issues of love, xenophobia, and the terror of fascist dictatorships in this hilarious sci-fi epic.
—NEW GRAPHIC NOVEL OF NOTE— • STAR BEASTS Bandit is a pup who leaves his family on Earth to join the secret order of the Star Beasts-cosmic creatures sworn to protect Earth and spread goodness throughout the universe. When powerful ancient relics are stolen, Bandit leads the crew on a kick-asteroid space race to collect them all and defeat the evil Khaos Krill from destroying Earth! Artist Lassie will be signing @ Challengers in September!
—NEW COMICS OF NOTE— • X-MEN TRIAL OF MAGNETO #1 A horrific murder. A shocking revelation. A trial that will divide the new mutant nation. Leah Williams and Valerio Schiti bring you a new epic that threatens the Reign of X and will upend the world of mutants. The truth is hidden, the danger is far from over, and the trial has begun.
• SECOND CHANCES #1 Second Chances Hotline - call now and get a new identity! All you need is some cash, a proper referral, and a very good reason to start over. When Leblanc, the man behind the hotline, is approached by a shady figure from his past, he's forced to accept a new client who doesn't meet any of the requirements - a client with chemically induced amnesia in desperate need of protection.
• HEROES UNION #1 Naucrate the Auteur Cosmic - half the universe celebrates her genius, the other half cowers before her world-shattering power. And the only ones who can stop her are Earth's foremost super-group... The Heroes Union! Legendary creators Roger Stern (The Avengers), Ron Frenz (Thor) and Sal Buscema (Captain America) unite to chronicle the adventures of a marvelous new generation of heroes in a cosmic epic bursting with so many breathtaking twists and thrills, it should probably come with seat belts! This 68-page, standalone story introduces all-new 21st Century Heroes in an exciting new, square-bound "Binge Book" format!
• KANG THE CONQUEROR #1 The man called Kang the Conqueror has been a pharaoh, a villain, a warlord of the space ways and even, on rare occasions, a hero. Across all timelines, one fact seemed absolute: Time means nothing to Kang the Conqueror. But the truth is more complex. Kang is caught in an endless cycle of creation and destruction dictated by time and previously unseen by any but the Conqueror himself. A cycle that could finally explain the enigma that is Kang. And a cycle that begins and ends with an old and broken Kang sending his younger self down a dark path...
• BATMAN SECRET FILES CLOWNHUNTER #1 Clownhunter’s brutal mission to hunt down all the clowns from The Joker War continues! The untrained but focused vigilante stalks a boss-level clown, but his luck might be running out as he walks into an ambush set by Punchline! In a horrific parallel to his days at Gotham Academy, Clownhunter finds himself overwhelmed and outgunned...just the type of odds he likes!
• EAT THE RICH #1 With law school and her whole life ahead of her, Joey plans to summer with her boyfriend Astor in his seemingly perfect hometown of Crestfall Bluffs. It's a chance to finally meet Astor's family and childhood friends, all while enjoying a vacation with every need attended to by servants. But beneath the affluent perfection lies a dark, deadly rot... will Joey discover the truth before it's too late, and if she does, can she survive to tell the tale?
• ELRIC DREAMING CITY #1 Elric of Melniboné, is exiled from his home and cursed to walk the land under the influence of the god of chaos, Arioch. With his sword Stormbringer, Elric must find his way through the unknown.
• GOD OF TREMORS A 19th Century gothic horror of exorcism, demonic worship and epilepsy. When Aubrey has his first seizure, he's pulled out of school and hidden away in the family's remote country estate. His father - a high-ranking English priest - tries to chase the "devil" out of Aubrey - but maybe the devil lurks in the grotesque pagan effigy that dwells on the grounds. And maybe the devil will turn out to be Aubrey's only ally...
• GOOD BOY MAGAZINE #1 The finest, highest quality comics magazine on planet Earth! 112 brand new full color pages from indie comic heavyweights Benji Nate, Michael Sweater, Alex Krokus, Ashley Robin Franklin, Sam Grinberg, Flower Alligator, Dave Mercier, Bastian Najdek, Steve Thueson, and plenty more. A pure joy. Read comics or go to hell.
• MILES MORALES SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL #1 Miles Morales is investigating a series of monster attacks in Brooklyn when he runs into Ms. Marvel's friend and ally AMULET! Together they connect the monsters to a series of cursed magical objects. But who activated them, and why? And can Spider-Man and Amulet find out before the monsters take them down too?
• WARHAMMER 40K SISTERS BATTLE #1 A squad of Adepta Sororitas, led by CANONESS VERIDYAN arrive on planet Siscia to retrieve a lost Inquisitorial acolyte and put down a heretical uprising. As Novitiate GHITA'S first mission with her Order gets underway, what should be an easy mission turns into something much worse, as an unknown force deep within the subterranean city of the planet rears its ugly head!
—DON’T OVERLOOK— NIGHTWING #83, MOON KNIGHT #2, HOME SICK PILOTS #8, IRON MAN #11, RADIANT BLACK #7, HARROW COUNTY FAIR FOLK #2, SUPERGIRL WOMAN OF TOMORROW #3, and SINISTER WAR #3.
Oof. With an email subject heading as dark as that one, there’s nothing else to do but jump right to the book in question…
—NEW GRAPHIC NOVELS OF NOTE— •DID YOU HEAR WHAT EDDIE GEIN DONE One of the greats in the field of true-crime literature, Harold Schechter, teams "The Goon”’s Eric Powell to bring you the tale of one of the most notoriously deranged murderers in American history, Ed Gein. This is an in-depth exploration of the Gein family and what led to the creation of the necrophile who haunted the dreams of 1950s America. Schechter and Powell's true-crime graphic novel takes the Gein story out of the realms of exploitation and gives the reader a fact-based dramatization of these tragic, heartbreaking and psychotic events.
•JONNA & THE UNPOSSIBLE MONSTER TP VOL 01 Co-written and drawn by Chris Samnee! Rainbow has been looking for her younger sister, Jonna, for over a year-since the monsters appeared and the world began to dry up. Then, one day, Jonna's spotted out in the wild: filthy, but very much alive-and strong. Strong enough to knock back a towering monster with one punch. All this time, she's been surviving. On her own. Without Rainbow. Without anyone. But there are more dangers in the world than monsters, and when the two sisters reunite, they'll discover the secrets of this new and terrifying world firsthand.
—RECOMMENDED COMICS— • DEFENDERS #1 (Marvel) Doctor Strange and the Masked Raider take a non-team of Marvel's weirdest, wildest heroes on a mission that will uncover the hidden architecture of reality itself! This cosmos was not the first to exist...but if the DEFENDERS can't track Marvel's oldest villain through the deepest trenches of time - it might be the last! By Al Ewing and Javier Rodriguez!
—NEW COMICS OF NOTE— •BATMAN 89 #1 (DC Comics) Step back into the Gotham of Tim Burton’s seminal classic Batman movies! Batman ’89 brings in screenwriter Sam Hamm (Batman, Batman Returns) and artist Joe Quinones (Dial H for Hero) to pull on a number of threads left dangling by the prolific director. Gotham becomes torn in two as citizens dressed as Batman and The Joker duke it out in the streets. As D.A. Harvey Dent tries to keep the city together, he targets the one problem tearing it apart: BATMAN! And he’ll get Bruce Wayne’s help in taking down the Dark Knight!
•UNBELIEVABLE UNTEENS WORLD OF BLACK HAMMER #1 (Dark Horse) The X-Men of the Black Hammer Universe? After signing at a comic book convention, Unbelievable Unteens artist Jane Ito finds herself visited by one of the characters from her own creation-but was it her own creation? Were the Unteens an actual school of teenaged misfit superheroes who battled supervillains under the lead of the mysterious Dr. Miles Moniker? And if so, who wiped their memories and why?
•I AM BATMAN #0 (DC Comics) Future State gave readers a preview of things to come with Jace Fox as the new Batman...but his debut in the core line arrives with a bang! Picking up immediately from the events of The Next Batman: Second Son, Jace thrusts himself into action when the Magistrate’s crackdown on Alleytown begins, using armor he’s found in the abandoned Hibernaculum. The age of a new Dark Knight starts now!
•CAMPISI #1 (Aftershock) Sonny Campisi is a small-time fixer for the mob-controlled neighborhood of Green Village. If you don't pay your gambling debt, he'll come and collect. If you get a little rough with one of "the girls," he gets a little rough with you. But when a dragon flies into town and Sonny is the one who's tasked with getting rid of it, it's a problem unlike any he's ever faced, and a chain of events begins that will affect everyone who lives in that neighborhood. Especially Sonny.
•CINNAMON #1 (Behemoth) Cinnamon is just your perfectly ordinary, average housecat. At least until we get a glimpse of the world through her eyes! Countertops become skyscrapers, cat toys become biker gangs, and perilous giant robots rampage on the daily! Get drop kicked onto the action packed streets of Big Kitchen City, as she fights the dark forces that dare to keep her from her favorite treat... Catnip!
•HARDWARE SEASON ONE #1 (DC Comics) Curtis Metcalf was the brightest shining star of Alva Industries until the failures of Alva technology at the Big Bang disaster threatened to destroy the company, and Alva needed a scapegoat. Now Curtis is on the run from the Dakota police department…but a man as smart—and paranoid—as Curtis takes precautions. With a nearly indestructible suit of armor and remarkable inventions, Curtis stands determined to do much more than clear his name…he’s going to take the fight back to Alva himself!
•AVENGERS TECH-ON #1 (Marvel) What if the Avengers were Power Rangers? When the Red Skull wields a strange new power that strips heroes of their powers and threatens the entire world, the Avengers turn to Tony Stark's experimental new technology to save us all. Here come the Iron Avengers - Avengers Tech-On! It's mechs and mayhem in the Marvel Mighty Manner!
•PENNYWORTH #1 (DC Comics) It's a comic from that show you don't watch! Spanning the years between the hit TV show and today, Pennyworth tells the continuing adventures of Alfred Pennyworth as an MI6 counterintelligence agent.
—DON’T OVERLOOK— SIX SIDEKICKS OF TRIGGER KEATON #3, RORSCHACH #11, DAREDEVIL #33, MAMO #2, SPIDER-MAN SPIDERS SHADOW #5, JOKER #6 and BY THE HORNS #4.